This post will walk you through the commonly overlooked steps to customize and apply Magento's system generated email templates for things such as new account verification, order confirmation, shipping update, forgotten password recovery, send to a friend, and many more. Screenshots are included for each step. Magento Commerce excels in making powerful commerce easy to use.
Important Note: You can also edit the default templates in the file structure, but I don't recommend it as they are under the core of Magento and could be overwritten in a future update.
Create New Email Templates
1. Login to Magento Admin and go to System > Transactional Emails.
2. Click the button at the top right labeled "Add New Template."
3. Choose the default template you want to edit from the dropdown box labeled "Template."
4. Click the button labeled "Load Template."
5. Name your new template in the field labeled "Template Name." I like to name my templates the same name as the default template I am copying—it makes it a lot easier to assign them to events later.
6. Edit the HTML.
7. Click the button at the top right labeled "Save Template."
Assign Your Email Templates to System Events
1. In Magento Admin go to System > Configuration.
2. Browse through the tabs on the left and look for options that allow you to assign an email template.
The full list:
- Currency Setup (1) > Scheduled Import Settings > Error Email Template
- Contacts (1) > Email Options > Email Template
- Catalog (2) > Product Alerts > Stock alert Email Template, Product Alerts Run Settings > Error Email Template
- Email to a Friend (1) > Email Templates > Select Email Template
- Newsletter (3) > Subscription Options > Unsubscription Email Template, Subscription Options > Success Email Template, Subscription Options > Confirmation Email Template,
- Customer Configuration (4) > Create New Account Options > Default Welcome Email, Create New Account Options > Confirmation Link Email, Create New Account Options > Welcome Email, Password Options > Forgot Email Template,
- Wishlist (1) > Share Options > Email Template
- Sales Emails (16) > (two per section)
- Checkout (1) > Payment Failed Emails > Payment Failed Template
- Admin (1) > Admin User Emails > Forgot Password Email Template
- System (1) > Log Cleaning > Error Email Template
Example: Go to Customer Configuration > Create New Account Options. You will see three templates you can set: "Default Welcome Email," "Confirmation Link Email," and "Welcome Email."
3. Click the button at the top right labeled "Save Configuration."
If you get stumped please contact me or leave a comment below. I'm also available for hire!